The area I grew up in has a special food item that is unique to a very limited region. This is the ultimate prepper food as it is absolutely delicious and can easily be made with a minimum amount of ingredients. Potatoes and Chicken, is all you need to make it, dress it up with butter and salt and it is mouth watering. Please don’t judge a book by it’s cover, Rappie Pie does not “look” very appetizing to some people but it is very Yummy.
1 medium-sized chicken (or turkey)
3 large onions, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C.
2. Place Chicken in pot with enough water to completely cover. Add onions and simmer until chicken is tender.
3. Remove chicken from the pot, reserving the broth. Remove meat from the bones. Cut meat into smaller, bite-sized pieces.
4. Grate potatoes. Place grated potatoes in cotton bag and squeeze vigorously to extract all the water. The goal is to get rid of as much starch as possible by squeezing out all the water.
5. Bring the reserved chicken broth to a boil. Scald the grated, de-starched potatoes in an amount of broth equal to approximately 2/3 of the water you extracted from the potatoes. Mix the broth with the potatoes and season with salt.
6. Add half of the potato mixture into rectangular baking pan. Add the chicken, then top with remaining potato mixture.
7. Bake for 1-1/2 hours, or until top is uniformly brown.
Original Source Link